Thoughts of a 20-something

Charlotte’s birth

Leave a comment

“Oh my god I have a baby!” I said this about a hundred times in the first 24 hours after giving birth. Are they really trusting me with a newborn? I get to take home this precious life that I created?

Giving birth was one of the hardest, scariest, most rewarding experiences that I have ever gone through. Here’s my birth story, more for my own memory than anything else. (it’s already starting to gloss over so I want to make sure to remember it as well as possible.)

Tuesday my water broke at noon. i was walking down in to the basement to switch laundry out. I actually was able to hear a pop as my water broke and next thing I know, it feels like I’m wetting myself. I was to meet my aunt at 1230 for lunch, so my first call was to her to cancel (I wish I hadn’t cancelled). Next phone call was to doctor to see what they wanted me to do, and then to hubby. My aunt came to pick me up and bring me to the doctor, where they tested the fluid to make sure it was in fact my water breaking.

Well, it was. (the feeling is pretty unmistakable, but having not felt it before I wasn’t 100% sure obviously). Doc also checked how dilated I was to see how far along I was. I was 1cm dilated and very posterior. They sent me down to the hospital where I checked in around 1:30.

Upon checking in, I told the nurses and docs what my doctors had said about how far along I was. They brought me right down to labor and delivery and got me comfortable. Travis had rushed off of work and came quickly. My mom and sister also came right away. I had the best support system ever between the three of them.

The hospital always give an IV to their moms. They had a hard time finding a vein that worked for me, and ended up putting it in my hand which wasn’t comfortable and included a TON of tape to keep it on. Not fun. I was having irregular contractions and they weren’t too terribly painful. I would walk around the hallways and try to keep my mind off of them. The doctor said I could eat and my mom and sister went to pick up Chipotle around 5. (This was a bad idea).

My contractions started getting stronger around 7. They were more frequent and more painful, to the point where I threw up the dinner that I had. The nurse said I was throwing up because I wasn’t breathing correctly, but I think that at least part of it was due to the pain as well. I should have eaten prior to going to the hospital, not while I was there.

Around 9, the doctor came in to check how far dilated I was again. Unfortunately, I had made no progress and was still 1 cm and very posterior. I was starting to get more painful contractions and it was hard for me to relax. In fact, I was kind of writhing in pain with each one. The nurse and doctor were recommending something to help me with the pain and to help me sleep. I got the shot and started dozing off around 9:30. I’d be woken up every so often by a contraction as they were getting worse and worse. Around 1 am, the nurse came in and started talking to us and decided that she wanted to check how far along I was. When she checked me, she looks up and says “You’re going to have a baby!”

I remember being so confused, and saying “wait, I know I’m having a baby, but when?” She ran out in to the hallway to get my mother and sister who had since gone to the waiting room. Everyone came rushing back in to find out I was 9cm dilated and ready to start pushing.

Around 1:45 or so, my nurse and doctors had me all set up to start pushing. Travis was on my right holding my leg and helping me breathe, my mom was on my left holding my leg and helping me breathe, and my sister helped by giving me an oxygen mask in between contractions. As each contraction came up, everyone helped time my breathing and pushing. It worked! Within 20 minutes, Charlie was crowning and the doctor was yelling at me to slow down and not push so hard. (Which, by the way, is physically impossible. When you get the urge to push, there is NOTHING that will stop it.) After that, I felt some of the worst pain of my life and Charlie was half out, the next contraction and my baby was being placed in my arms. 2:16 AM, my darling baby girl was born. 6 pounds, 5 ounces.

One more big push to pass the placenta, and Travis was cutting the cord as my sweet baby girl cried in my arms. I had some tearing, so the docs numbed me up and gave me some stitches. Within an hour or so I was getting up to use the rest room, my baby was cleaned up and Travis and I were in absolute awe with our little girl. I was moved to recovery at 5am and settled in to the room that would be my home for the next day. We got very lucky in that my labor and delivery not only went quick (once it started moving), but we loved the doctors and nurses that we had and were able to go home on Friday.


It’s hard to describe accurately the amount of pain that was experienced. It’s difficult to explain the overwhelming joy that is felt. It’s impossible to accurately capture with words the emotions that are felt with such an incredible event. It hurt. It hurt more than anything I had felt before, but it a pain that I would happily go through again knowing that it brought such joy in to my life.


Author: heriwen

I'm a 29 year old teacher who loves to cook. Well, really I love to eat and with that comes the cooking. I also enjoy reading, being outside and spending time with my awesome animals, even more awesome husband, and most awesome daughter. :)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s